1. In 1826, the first Indiana state constitution was adopted. The constitution established elected officials, three branches of government, and universal suffrage for white men over the age of 21.
2. On January 3, 1900, the first car was registered in Indiana. The car, owned by Indianapolis resident Eugene K. Babbitt, was a Winton automobile and had a speed limit of 12 miles per hour.
3. In 1937, the Great Flood of the Ohio River began on January 3, affecting several states including Indiana. The flood lasted for weeks, causing widespread damage and displacement of thousands of people.
4. On this day in 1967, the Indiana Pacers professional basketball team played their first game in the American Basketball Association (ABA). The team, founded by Dick Tinkham and four other investors, would go on to win three ABA championships before joining the NBA in 1976.
5. Finally, on January 3, 2011, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels declared a state of emergency due to a winter storm. The storm brought heavy snowfall and strong winds, causing hazardous driving conditions and widespread power outages across the state.
- Tags: IN