1. In 1903, The University of Iowa established its first homecoming celebration, which included a parade, football game, and ball. The event has since become an annual tradition.
2. In 1925, the Iowa State Teachers Association held its first convention in Des Moines, with over 7,000 educators from across the state in attendance.
3. In 1948, future President Ronald Reagan visited Des Moines as a spokesperson for General Electric, giving a speech titled "America's Future in Science."
4. In 1961, the Iowa State Highway Commission approved plans for the new Interstate 80, which would span the state from the Mississippi River to the Missouri River.
5. In 2016, the Iowa caucuses were held on January 30, marking the first major contest in the presidential election cycle. Republican Ted Cruz won the caucus, while Democrat Hillary Clinton narrowly defeated Bernie Sanders.
- Tags: IA