1. On January 5, 1914, the Wright Brothers' first airplane flight took place in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The brothers had initially tested their aircraft in Ohio, but they found the weather conditions in North Carolina to be more suitable for flight.
2. In 1781, during the American Revolution, a group of American soldiers led by General Daniel Morgan defeated a group of British soldiers led by Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the Battle of Cowpens in South Carolina. Many of the American soldiers were from North Carolina, and the victory played a key role in turning the tide of the war.
3. On January 5, 1971, basketball legend Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York. Jordan went on to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a star player on the basketball team before going on to become one of the greatest players in NBA history.
4. In 1921, the state of North Carolina purchased Linville Gorge, a scenic area in the western part of the state. The gorge is known for its rugged beauty, waterfalls, and hiking trails, and it is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
5. On January 5, 1969, North Carolina became the first state in the South to host a professional basketball franchise when the Charlotte Hornets were admitted to the American Basketball Association. The team played in Charlotte until 1974, when they moved to New York City and became the New York Nets.
- Tags: NC