Here are five events that occurred on January 6 in Indiana history, according to available records:
1. In 1838, Indiana Governor David Wallace signed a bill to establish the state's first public institution of higher education, Indiana University in Bloomington.
2. On January 6, 1912, the Indianapolis Star reported that the Indianapolis City Council had approved a plan to demolish the old City Hall building and build a new one at the current location of the City-County Building.
3. In 1923, the first official Indiana-Kentucky high school basketball game took place at the Memorial Coliseum in Indianapolis, with the Kentucky team winning 33-21.
4. The United Mine Workers of America began a strike in southern Indiana on January 6, 1930, protesting low wages and poor working conditions.
5. On January 6, 1990, a propane tank exploded at a plastics factory in Evansville, killing six people and injuring dozens more, in what remains one of Indiana's deadliest industrial accidents.
- Tags: IN