1. On January 7, 1789, Pennsylvania became the second state to ratify the United States Constitution, which established the framework for the federal government and remains the supreme law of the land.
2. January 7, 1896, marked the beginning of the infamous "White Caps" reign of terror in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, with a series of violent attacks on local citizens accused of immorality and lawlessness.
3. On January 7, 1935, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania ruled in Commonwealth v. Fisher that police officers must obtain a warrant before conducting a search of a private home, setting an important precedent for the protection of individual rights.
4. In 1979, on January 7, Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp signed the nation's first-ever law decriminalizing marijuana possession for personal use, making possession of less than 30 grams a summary offense punishable by a fine rather than a criminal charge.
5. January 7, 2020, saw Philadelphia's own Pen15 Club become the first-ever recipients of a grant from the Black Seed Fund, a new initiative that supports Black, Indigenous, and People of Color-led organizations working towards social justice and equity in Philadelphia.
5 Fun Facts About January 7 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →