1. In 1889, North Dakota was officially recognized as a state alongside South Dakota, making it the 39th state in the United States.
2. The first motorized police patrol in North Dakota began on July 11, 1921 in Fargo.
3. On July 11, 1969, the town of Minot experienced a catastrophic train derailment, resulting in the release of deadly chemicals into the air and the evacuation of over 10,000 residents.
4. Theodore Roosevelt National Park was established on July 11, 1978 in honor of the former president's contributions to conservation efforts and his love for North Dakota's badlands.
5. In 2011, North Dakota experienced historic flooding along the Missouri River, causing widespread damage and prompting evacuations of several towns and cities. July 11 marked the peak of the flood stage in Bismarck, with the river cresting at 17.01 feet.
- Tags: ND