1. The first recorded tornado in Kansas history occurred on July 13, 1874, near the town of Elk City.
2. In 1881, on July 13th, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway reached the town of Dodge City, which helped spur growth and development in the region.
3. On July 13, 1923, the University of Kansas officially opened its school of medicine, which would later become the University of Kansas Medical Center.
4. In 1930, on July 13th, construction began on the Kansas State Capitol building in Topeka, which would take 37 years to complete due to various interruptions.
5. On July 13, 1950, President Harry Truman visited the town of Abilene, Kansas, his boyhood home, and gave a speech at the dedication of the Eisenhower Presidential Library.
- Tags: KS