1. Rhode Island Ratified the U.S. Constitution on July 14, 1790
On this day in Rhode Island history, the state became the last of the original 13 colonies to ratify the United States Constitution. This happened two years after the Constitution was enacted on September 17, 1787.
2. The Newport Jazz Festival Started on July 14, 1954
One of the most famous jazz festivals in the world, the Newport Jazz Festival began on July 14, 1954. The festival has been held annually since that time and draws thousands of visitors to Newport, Rhode Island.
3. The Battle of Rhode Island Began on July 14, 1778
The Battle of Rhode Island was part of the American Revolution and took place from August 9-29, 1778. However, it began on July 14, 1778, when British troops landed on Conanicut Island in Narragansett Bay as part of their plan to capture Newport, Rhode Island.
4. Jesse H. Metcalf, the First U.S. Senator from Rhode Island, was Born on July 14, 1860
Jesse H. Metcalf, the first U.S. Senator from Rhode Island, was born on July 14, 1860, in Providence. He served in the Senate from 1924-1937.
5. The First American Baptist Church in the Western Hemisphere was Founded on July 14, 1638, in Providence
On this day in Rhode Island history, the First Baptist Church in America was founded in Providence. It was the first Baptist church in the western hemisphere and was founded by Roger Williams, who is also credited with founding the colony of Rhode Island.
5 Fun Facts About July 14 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →