1. In 1903, the town of Minot was nearly destroyed by a fire that burned over 26 blocks and caused over $5 million in damages.
2. In 1930, North Dakota's first commercial oil well was drilled near Tioga, leading to an economic boom for the state.
3. In 1953, Fargo native Roger Maris hit a record-breaking 4 home runs in a single game while playing for the Cleveland Indians.
4. In 1975, a severe thunderstorm produced golf-ball sized hail that caused extensive damage to crops and buildings in the Jamestown area.
5. In 1995, the city of Grand Forks suffered a devastating flood that displaced over 50,000 residents and caused over $1.5 billion in damages.
- Tags: ND