1. In 1722, the first recorded smallpox epidemic in Connecticut began. The disease spread rapidly and killed hundreds in the state.
2. On July 19, 1779, British troops under the command of General William Tryon raided the town of New Haven, Connecticut, burning homes and businesses and destroying valuable records and documents.
3. In 1816, the first evidence of a dinosaur in North America was discovered in Portland, Connecticut. A three-toed footprint belonging to a small theropod dinosaur was found near the Connecticut River.
4. The first-ever meeting of the Republican National Committee was held in New Haven, Connecticut, on July 19, 1856. The party was formed as an opposition to the expansion of slavery in the United States.
5. On July 19, 1968, Connecticut Senator Thomas Dodd was censured by the U.S. Senate for financial misconduct during his time in office. He was accused of using campaign funds for personal expenses and faced further legal action after his censure.
- Tags: CT