1. On July 19, 1870, the North Carolina Constitutional Convention of 1868-1869 approved the current state constitution. This constitution remained in effect until it was amended in 1971.
2. On July 19, 1911, famed aviator Harriet Quimby became the first woman to fly across the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. Quimby was known for her daring aerial feats and was the first American woman to earn a pilot's license.
3. In 1983, the first commercial flight departed from the newly opened Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, located in Charlotte, North Carolina. The airport has since become the sixth busiest airport in the country.
4. On July 19, 1951, the Carolina Theatre opened in Durham, North Carolina. The theatre has since become a beloved cultural institution in the city and is known for hosting a variety of performances, including concerts, movie screenings, and theatrical productions.
5. On July 19, 1989, former governor of North Carolina, Terry Sanford, was named the new president of Duke University. Sanford served as president until 1993 and is credited with overseeing the university's modernization and expansion efforts.
- Tags: NC