1. In 1865, the last major engagement of the American Civil War in Kansas occurred when Confederate guerrillas attacked Union soldiers in the Battle of the Saline River.
2. On July 25, 1878, Kid Curry, a notorious outlaw and member of the Wild Bunch gang, was born near Dodge City. Kid Curry was known for his violent criminal activities and was involved in several train robberies and shootouts with law enforcement.
3. The first official airmail run in Kansas took place on July 25, 1918. The inaugural flight between New York and Washington, DC with a stop in Philadelphia, carried more than 400 pounds of mail.
4. In 1944, a B-29 bomber crashed near Pratt, Kansas, killing all 11 crew members on board. The plane was on a test flight after being repaired following a previous crash.
5. On July 25, 2002, the Kansas City Royals hosted the MLB All-Star Game at Kauffman Stadium. The game ended in a 7-7 tie after 11 innings, as both teams had exhausted their available pitchers. This controversial outcome led to a change in the All-Star Game format the following year, when home-field advantage in the World Series was tied to the outcome of the game.
- Tags: KS