1. On July 29, 1836, the Hartford and New Haven Railroad opened, becoming the first railroad line in Connecticut. Its first train was powered by a steam engine named the "DeWitt Clinton" and traveled between Hartford and New Haven.
2. In 1918, on July 29, the Connecticut State Guard was created. The State Guard was a military organization created to protect Connecticut during World War I and was disbanded in 1923 after the war ended.
3. On July 29, 1940, A. C. Gilbert, a famous toy manufacturer from New Haven, patented a new type of toy construction set called "Erector". The Erector set was a toy construction set that allowed children to build anything from trains to bridges.
4. In 1960, on July 29th, the Connecticut Historical Society opened its doors to the public. The society's mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of Connecticut.
5. On July 29, 1972, the Connecticut Sun was founded as an American professional women's basketball team based in Uncasville, Connecticut. The team won their first Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) championship in 2004.
- Tags: CT