1. The Battle of Gettysburg: On this day in 1863, the Civil War battle of Gettysburg was raging in Pennsylvania. Connecticut troops played a crucial role in the Union victory, with the 14th Connecticut Infantry suffering heavy losses.
2. The Birth of Katherine Hepburn: Born in Hartford on July 3, 1907, Katherine Hepburn went on to become one of Hollywood's most legendary actresses, appearing in classic films such as "The Philadelphia Story" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"
3. The Hartford Circus Fire: On July 6, 1944, a circus tent caught fire in Hartford, killing 168 people (including 34 children). The tragedy remains one of the deadliest fires in US history.
4. Independence Day Celebrations: Many Connecticut towns and cities hold their Fourth of July celebrations on July 3rd, featuring parades, fireworks, and other festivities.
5. Flight 800 Tragedy: On July 17, 1996, TWA Flight 800 crashed off the coast of Long Island, killing all 230 people on board. The plane had departed from JFK Airport in New York and was on its way to Paris. Many Connecticut residents were among the passengers and crew.
- Tags: CT