Here are some potential facts about July 8 in Arizona history:
1. On July 8, 1846, General Stephen W. Kearny and his troops arrived in the Arizona territory during the Mexican-American War.
2. July 8, 1895 marked the founding of the town of Kingman, Arizona.
3. In 1911, Arizona's first female legislator, Frances Munds, helped to establish the Arizona State Academy for Women on July 8.
4. On July 8, 1952, the Arizona State Hospital, a mental health facility in Phoenix, was destroyed by a fire.
5. July 8, 1981 was the first day of construction on the Central Arizona Project, a system of water canals that bring Colorado River water to central and southern Arizona.
- Tags: AZ