1. Land Run of 1889: On July 8th, 1889, the first legal land rush in Oklahoma Territory began. Thousands of people raced to claim their piece of land on the Unassigned Lands.
2. Oklahoma Constitution: On July 8th, 1907, delegates at the state's constitutional convention gathered in Guthrie and signed Oklahoma's Constitution. This document established the state's government and outlined the rights of its citizens.
3. Will Rogers' Birth: On July 8th, 1879, Will Rogers was born in Indian Territory. Rogers is remembered as a popular actor, writer, and humorist, and his legacy lives on today in Oklahoma.
4. Oklahoma Gas Explosion: On July 8th, 1985, a gas explosion at a drilling rig near Muskogee, Oklahoma left 13 people dead and 20 others injured. The tragedy serves as a reminder of the importance of safety in the oil and gas industry.
5. Tornado Outbreak: On July 8th, 1993, a massive tornado outbreak struck Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. The storms caused extensive damage and claimed the lives of 40 people. The event is considered one of the worst tornado outbreaks in Oklahoma history.
5 Fun Facts About July 8 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →