1. In 1889, the first cable car system in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Cable Railway, began operation between downtown and Echo Park.
2. On June 1, 1928, the first freeway in California, the Arroyo Seco Parkway, opened to traffic. The 8.2-mile stretch of roadway connected downtown Los Angeles to Pasadena, and is now part of the 110 Freeway.
3. The first drive-in movie theater in California opened on June 1, 1934 in Camden, near San Francisco. The theater featured a 40-foot-wide screen and space for 500 cars.
4. On June 1, 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge officially opened to the public. The iconic bridge spans the Golden Gate Strait and connects San Francisco to Marin County.
5. In 1967, on June 1, the first human be-in was held at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. The gathering was organized by counterculture leaders and featured speeches, music, and an overall celebration of the hippie movement.
- Tags: CA