1. In 1861, Camp Butler was established near Springfield as a training ground for Union soldiers during the American Civil War.
2. On June 10, 1911, the Illinois General Assembly passed the first law in the United States authorizing and regulating the use of motor vehicles on public highways.
3. In 1935, the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield became the site of one of the largest tractor tests in history, as manufacturers gathered to demonstrate the capabilities of their machines.
4. On this day in 1937, a tornado tore through the town of Farmer City, killing nine people and causing widespread damage.
5. On June 10, 1987, the Illinois legislature passed a law mandating that all licensed drivers in the state must wear seat belts or face fines.
- Tags: IL