1. In 1742, the Moravians, a religious group, established Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The settlement quickly became a thriving center of commerce and industry, as well as a site of religious pilgrimage.
2. On June 11, 1776, Pennsylvania formally declared its independence from Great Britain – one of the first of the thirteen colonies to do so. This act helped to pave the way for the eventual adoption of the United States Constitution.
3. In 1863, during the Civil War, Confederate General Robert E. Lee began his second invasion of the North. Lee hoped to draw Union troops away from Virginia and into Pennsylvania, where he could defeat them on his home turf.
4. 1915, the first official Phillies’ Father’s Day game was held at Baker Bowl in Philadelphia. The Phillies beat the Boston Braves 4-1.
5. In 1939, Pennsylvania native Major League Baseball player Chuck Klein became the first player since Babe Ruth to hit four home runs in one game. Klein achieved the feat while playing with the Philadelphia Phillies against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
5 Fun Facts About June 11 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →