1. In 1831, the Choctaw Nation signed the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek which ceded their lands in Mississippi to the US government and allowed them to move to Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma).
2. In 1935, the first leg of Route 66 was completed in Oklahoma, connecting Chicago to Los Angeles and becoming known as the "Main Street of America."
3. In 1948, the Tulsa flood occurred when the Arkansas River flooded and caused over $100 million in damages, destroying over 12,000 homes and leaving 20,000 people homeless.
4. In 1967, the Supreme Court ruled in the case of Loving v. Virginia, overturning laws prohibiting interracial marriage and setting a precedent for civil rights.
5. In 1994, the Oklahoma City bombing occurred when a truck bomb exploded outside of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people and injuring over 600 others. The attack was carried out by domestic terrorists Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.
5 Fun Facts About June 13 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →