1. In 1777, the Continental Army under General George Washington adopted the "Army of the United States" as its official name in Providence, Rhode Island.
2. On June 14, 1935, the Newport Bridge was officially opened to the public, connecting Newport and Jamestown. At the time, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world.
3. Rhode Island adopted the first law in the United States prohibiting the importation of slaves on June 14, 1774. Although the law was not enforced until after the American Revolution, it marked an important milestone in the fight against slavery.
4. In 1960, the town of Bristol, Rhode Island began its annual Fourth of July Celebration, which has become one of the oldest and largest celebrations of its kind in the United States.
5. On June 14, 1904, the Rhode Island Homeopathic Hospital (now known as Kent Hospital) was founded in Warwick, Rhode Island. It was the first homeopathic hospital in the state and played an important role in the development of alternative medicine in Rhode Island.
5 Fun Facts About June 14 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →