1. Oregon officially became a state on June 15, 1859. After a contentious process that lasted several years, Oregon was finally granted statehood and joined the union as the 33rd state.
2. On June 15, 1902, a massive fire broke out in the town of Heppner, Oregon, killing over 200 people and destroying much of the town. This tragic event remains one of the deadliest natural disasters in Oregon's history.
3. On June 15, 1912, the Oregon State University football team defeated the University of Oregon in what was the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron. The game ended in a 0-0 tie.
4. The first NHL player from Oregon, Chris Joseph, was born on June 15, 1969. Joseph went on to play for several teams, including the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Edmonton Oilers, during his career in the league.
5. On June 15, 2015, the state of Oregon became the first in the United States to implement a statewide program for automatic voter registration. Under the program, eligible citizens are automatically registered to vote when they apply for or renew their driver's license or state ID card.
5 Fun Facts About June 15 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →