1. In 1883, the first ever electric streetcar system in the United States was established in Indianapolis, Indiana. The system was created by Thomas Taggart, a politician and businessman who later became the mayor of Indianapolis.
2. On June 17, 1904, Indiana Jones actor, Harrison Ford, was born in Chicago, Illinois. Although he wasn't born in Indiana, he has portrayed many characters from the state, including Indiana Jones himself.
3. The first ever recorded train robbery in the United States took place in Seymour, Indiana on June 17, 1866. The robbers stole over $96,000 (equivalent to over $1.5 million today) from the local express car.
4. On June 17, 1992, the state of Indiana experienced a rare tornado outbreak. There were a total of 37 tornadoes that occurred in the state, which caused significant damage and loss of life.
5. June 17, 1972 marks the day that the Indiana Convention Center opened in downtown Indianapolis. The center is one of the largest convention facilities in the United States, and it serves as a popular venue for shows, events, and conventions.
- Tags: IN