1. In 1861, the Battle of Palmito Ranch took place, which was the last battle of the American Civil War. While it took place in Texas, Kansas played a role as Colonel Ford's Brigade, including several Kansas regiments, were sent to the area.
2. In 1908, the first successful flight in Kansas occurred when Albin K. Longren flew his experimental bi-plane on the outskirts of Topeka.
3. In 1928, Amelia Earhart made her first transatlantic flight as a passenger aboard the Friendship aircraft. Earhart, who was born in Atchison, Kansas, later became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.
4. In 1939, the Kansas Turnpike Authority was created to oversee the construction and maintenance of the state's first toll highway, which opened in 1956.
5. In 1988, a massive F4 tornado struck the town of Inman, Kansas, causing extensive damage and injuring numerous residents. The storm was part of a larger tornado outbreak across the Great Plains known as the "Haysville Tornado Outbreak."
- Tags: KS