1. In 1907, the first Indy 500 race was held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Ray Harroun won the race, completing the 200 laps in just under seven hours.
2. On June 2, 1919, Indiana became the 26th state to ratify the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which granted women the right to vote.
3. The Indiana Pacers won their first NBA championship on June 2, 1970, defeating the Los Angeles Lakers in game seven of the finals.
4. The famous author Kurt Vonnegut was born in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 2, 1922. He is best known for his novels such as Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle.
5. In 1823, the town of Lebanon, Indiana was founded. It was named after the biblical Lebanon due to the town's tall and straight oak trees. Today, Lebanon is the county seat of Boone County and has a population of over 15,000.
- Tags: IN