1. On June 22, 1887, the first telephone exchange was opened in Little Rock, Arkansas, allowing residents to communicate with one another more easily.
2. June 22, 1961, marked the integration of Little Rock public schools after the 1954 Supreme Court decision in Brown vs Board of Education.
3. On June 22, 1937, a flood hit Arkansas leaving over 100 people dead and causing widespread damage throughout the state.
4. In 1861, on June 22, Arkansas seceded from the United States and joined the Confederate States of America, becoming the ninth state to do so.
5. June 22, 1952, is the date when the Oil Capital of the World, El Dorado, Arkansas, was hit by an F4 tornado which killed 5 and injured over 40 people.
- Tags: AR