1. On June 23, 1955, a major tornado outbreak struck northern Indiana, killing multiple people and causing significant damage to homes and businesses.
2. The Indianapolis 500, one of the world's most famous auto races, has been held on June 23 twice in its history, in 1919 and 1924.
3. In 1816, Indiana became a state, making June 23 the anniversary of its statehood.
4. On June 23, 1863, the Battle of Hoover's Gap was fought near the town of Manchester, TN, involving troops from Indiana, among others. The Union forces were able to secure a key victory in this battle, which helped pave the way for their eventual success in the Civil War.
5. In 1963, a monument was dedicated in Indianapolis to the memory of Colonel Eli Lilly, an Indiana native and founder of the pharmaceutical company that still bears his name today. The monument features a statue of Lilly on horseback, and is located at the entrance to one of the company's manufacturing facilities.
- Tags: IN