1. Birth of Grant Wood: On June 24, 1891, Grant Wood was born in Anamosa, Iowa. He grew up to become a celebrated artist and is best known for his painting, "American Gothic."
2. Tornado in Charles City: On June 24, 1968, a deadly F5 tornado struck the town of Charles City, Iowa. The tornado killed 13 people and caused over $30 million in damage.
3. Women's Suffrage: On June 24, 1919, Iowa became the tenth state to ratify the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote. The amendment was officially added to the US Constitution on August 18, 1920.
4. Solar Farm in Louisa County: On June 24, 2017, Iowa's largest solar farm was dedicated in Louisa County. The 5.5 MW solar farm can generate enough energy to power approximately 900 homes.
5. John Wayne was born: On June 24, 1907, John Wayne was born Marion Robert Morrison in Winterset, Iowa. He went on to become a legendary actor and starred in over 170 films. Wayne received an Academy Award for his role in "True Grit" in 1970.
- Tags: IA