1. The state of North Dakota was officially established on November 2, 1889. However, on June 25, 1883, the Northern Pacific Railroad reached what is now Fargo, North Dakota, which greatly boosted the area's population and economy.
2. June 25, 1950, marked the beginning of the Korean War. Thousands of North Dakotans served in the military during the conflict and several lost their lives.
3. One of North Dakota's most famous residents, Peggy Lee, was born on June 26, 1920, in Jamestown, but her family moved to nearby Wimbledon shortly after her birth. Lee went on to become a successful singer and actress, and was even nominated for an Academy Award for her role in Pete Kelly's Blues.
4. On June 25, 1947, the first experimental tornado forecast was issued by the U.S. Weather Bureau in Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. North Dakota is one of the states that is most prone to tornadoes, and severe weather is still a routine occurrence in the state.
5. The town of Berthold, North Dakota, located in Ward County, was incorporated on June 25, 1912. Today, the town has a population of just over 400, and is known for its proximity to the Upper Souris National Wildlife Refuge.
- Tags: ND