1. Iowa was officially declared a state on June 26, 1846. After many years of debate and discussions, Iowa became the 29th state of the Union on this day.
2. In 1862, the Battle of Mechanicsville took place during the American Civil War. A number of Iowa soldiers were among the Union forces that fought in this battle, and it resulted in a decisive victory for the Union Army.
3. On June 26, 1959, the Amana Colonies were designated as a National Historic Landmark. The Amana Colonies are a group of seven villages in Iowa that were settled by German immigrants in the mid-19th century.
4. In 1980, the movie "The Final Countdown" was released. While the movie is set on an aircraft carrier that goes back in time to the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor, it features several scenes that were filmed in Iowa, including at the Iowa State Capitol building.
5. On June 26, 2007, flooding began to ravage the city of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The flooding was caused by heavy rainfall and resulted in approximately $5.4 billion in damage to homes, businesses, and infrastructure throughout the city.
- Tags: IA