1. In 1949, the city of Fort Lauderdale became the first city in Florida to have a public television station when the community-owned WFTL-TV (now known as WLRN-TV) began broadcasting.
2. On June 29, 1973, the city of Miami Beach celebrated its 50th anniversary. The celebration included a parade, fireworks, and other festivities taking place throughout the city.
3. In 1980, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the city of Miami could not annex a neighboring unincorporated area without first obtaining the approval of the majority of residents in that area. The decision had significant implications for cities across the country.
4. On June 29, 1997, the Florida Marlins played their final game at Joe Robbie Stadium before moving into their new ballpark, Marlins Park. The team won the game 5-4 over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
5. In 2012, Tropical Storm Debby made landfall near Steinhatchee, Florida, causing significant damage and flooding in several areas of the state. The storm resulted in at least 14 fatalities and caused more than $250 million in damage.
- Tags: FL