1. Iowa was officially declared a state on June 29, 1846, becoming the 29th state in the United States. Prior to being admitted as a state, Iowa was part of the Wisconsin Territory.
2. On June 29, 1864, the Battle of Mount Pleasant took place during the American Civil War. The Confederate Cavalry raid resulted in the capture of several hundred Union soldiers and civilians.
3. June 29, 1901, marked the opening day of the 1901 Iowa State Fair. The fair has been held annually since 1854 and is one of the largest and most popular state fairs in the country.
4. The Great Flood of 1993, one of the most devastating natural disasters in Iowa history, reached its peak on June 29. The flood caused widespread damage and displaced thousands of residents.
5. On June 29, 2015, the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage in the landmark case of Obergefell v. Hodges. This decision legalized gay marriage nationwide, including in Iowa, which had previously legalized same-sex marriage in 2009.
- Tags: IA