1. In 1776, the Fourth Provincial Congress of North Carolina authorized the creation of a navy to protect against British attacks during the American Revolutionary War.
2. In 1863, the Battle of Sporting Hill took place near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in which several North Carolina regiments were involved.
3. In 1900, the first successful flight of a powered aircraft in the United States took place in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, by the Wright brothers.
4. In 1979, the North Carolina General Assembly passed the first mandatory seat belt law in the United States.
5. In 2013, North Carolina became the last state in the United States to recognize September 28 as National Hunting and Fishing Day.
- Tags: NC