On June 29, Oklahoma has witnessed significant events in its history. Here are five interesting facts about that day:
1. On June 29, 1906, Oklahoma was officially declared a state. After years of being a territory and several attempts to become a state, Oklahoma finally achieved statehood on this day.
2. In 1935, the first edition of the Daily Oklahoman was printed. The newspaper has since become the largest daily newspaper in the state and has won numerous awards for its journalism.
3. In 1951, the panhandle region of Oklahoma experienced a devastating tornado outbreak. Twelve tornadoes struck the area, killing 11 people and injuring hundreds more.
4. On June 29, 1979, the first episode of the television series "Designing Women" aired. The show was created by Oklahoma native Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and featured a cast of strong, independent women.
5. In 2001, the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team was officially announced as a relocation of the Seattle SuperSonics. The team has since become a beloved part of Oklahoma City's sports community.
5 Fun Facts About June 29 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →