1. On June 29, 1821, the University of South Carolina was chartered. It is the oldest and largest university in the state, with a history dating back to 1801.
2. On June 29, 1864, the Battle of Saint Mary's Church was fought during the American Civil War. Confederate forces under General Wade Hampton engaged Union cavalry under General Philip Sheridan, resulting in a Confederate victory.
3. On June 29, 1896, the Charleston County Public Library was established. It is the largest library system in South Carolina, serving nearly 450,000 visitors annually.
4. On June 29, 1935, a severe hurricane struck the South Carolina coast, causing widespread damage and taking many lives. Known as the "Hoover Hurricane" after President Herbert Hoover, who visited the area to assess the damage, it remains one of the deadliest storms in state history.
5. On June 29, 1956, the state of South Carolina officially adopted its current state flag. The design features a crescent moon and a palmetto tree, symbols of defiance and survival from the state's revolutionary past.
5 Fun Facts About June 29 In South Carolina History
---Learn Every Day: SC Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history sc To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: SC
← Older Post Newer Post →