1. In 1912, the town of Caldwell was hit by an F4 tornado that caused significant damage and killed 8 people.
2. In 1927, the first aircraft landing on a Kansas highway occurred on June 3 near Wichita. This was a significant event in the early days of aviation.
3. June 3, 1937, marks the day when the state's minimum wage law went into effect. This was one of the first state minimum wage laws in the country.
4. The famous politician Amelia Earhart, born in Atchison, Kansas, made her last radio contact on June 3, 1937, during her ill-fated attempt to fly across the Pacific.
5. In 1965, Kansas became the first state to adopt a helmet law for motorcycle riders. The law required all motorcycle drivers and passengers to wear helmets, which resulted in a significant reduction in motorcycle fatalities.
- Tags: KS