1. In 1845, Florida was admitted as the 27th state in the Union on June 6th.
2. In 1944, the D-Day Invasion of Normandy occurred on June 6th during World War II with many Floridians taking part in the campaign.
3. In 1971, President Richard Nixon declared a national day of mourning in honor of Senator Walter F. George of Georgia, who passed away on June 6th. Senator George was a long-time advocate for flood control and navigation improvements in Florida.
4. In 1998, Tropical Storm Frances made landfall in Florida on June 6th causing widespread flooding and damage.
5. In 2019, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law on June 6th banning sanctuary cities in the state.
- Tags: FL