1. On June 8, 1846, American settlers in California declared independence from Mexico, an event that would eventually lead to California becoming part of the United States.
2. On June 8, 1861, a group of 21 pro-Union men were arrested in Los Angeles by Confederate sympathizers, marking the beginning of civil war tensions in southern California.
3. June 8, 1924, marked the dedication of the Hollywood Bowl, which has since become one of the most famous outdoor amphitheaters in the world.
4. California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency on June 8, 2014, due to a devastating drought that had been affecting the state for several years.
5. On June 8, 1989, the Berkeley City Council became the first government body in the United States to recognize lesbian and gay relationships, passing a domestic partnership ordinance.
- Tags: CA