1. Oregon's First Public School Opened on June 9, 1844
On June 9, 1844, the first public school in the Oregon Territory opened in Oregon City. The school was established by Dr. John McLoughlin, who was instrumental in the early development of Oregon.
2. The First Newspaper in Oregon was Published on June 9, 1846
On June 9, 1846, the first newspaper in Oregon, the Oregon Spectator, was published in Oregon City. The Spectator was started by a group of pioneers who wanted to establish a voice for the settlers in the region.
3. The First Official State Flag Was Adopted on June 9, 1925
On June 9, 1925, the Oregon State Legislature adopted the first official state flag. The flag has a blue field with a gold shield in the center, which features a beaver, the state animal.
4. Oregon's First State Park was Dedicated on June 9, 1922
On June 9, 1922, the first state park in Oregon, Oswald West State Park, was dedicated in Tillamook County. The park is named after Oregon governor Oswald West, who was instrumental in the creation of the state park system.
5. The First Commercial Airline Flight in Oregon Took Place on June 9, 1927
On June 9, 1927, the first commercial airline flight in Oregon took place when Pacific Air Transport flew a Ford Trimotor from Portland to San Francisco. The flight took 12 hours and made several stops along the way.
5 Fun Facts About June 9 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →