1. The first recorded volleyball game in Illinois took place on March 13, 1895, at the YMCA in Holyoke Hall in Springfield. The game was invented just four years prior in Massachusetts.
2. On March 13, 1980, a catastrophic explosion occurred at the Willow Island Power Plant in West Virginia, just across the Illinois border. The explosion killed 51 workers, 25 of which were from Illinois.
3. The first women's basketball game in NCAA tournament history was played on March 13, 1982, at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Illinois. The game was between the University of Maryland and the University of Wisconsin.
4. In 1877, on March 13, a massive fire swept through the City of Chatham in Illinois, destroying much of the business district. The fire caused over $100,000 in damage, a staggering amount at the time.
5. On March 13, 1925, former Illinois Governor and Senator Adlai E. Stevenson II was born in Los Angeles, California. He served as Governor of Illinois from 1949 to 1953 and was the Democratic nominee for President twice, in 1952 and 1956.
- Tags: IL