1. In 1936, the Great Flood of 1936 began in Iowa. The flood caused extensive damage to homes, crops, and roads, and resulted in the evacuation of thousands of residents. It was one of the worst natural disasters in Iowa history.
2. In 1942, a B-17 bomber crashed near Tabor, Iowa, killing all 10 crew members on board. The cause of the crash was determined to be pilot error.
3. In 1983, a severe blizzard hit Iowa, causing widespread power outages and travel disruptions. The storm dumped up to 2 feet of snow in some areas and was responsible for at least 5 deaths.
4. In 1992, Iowa Governor Terry Branstad signed the bill that created the Iowa Lottery. The state lottery has since generated billions of dollars in revenue for educational programs and infrastructure projects in Iowa.
5. In 2004, Iowa became the first state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled that the state's ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional, paving the way for couples of the same gender to wed in Iowa.
- Tags: IA