1. In 1850, the California State Legislature officially established the county of Sacramento, one of the original 27 counties of California.
2. In 1881, the California State Assembly passed a bill to create the University of California, which would later become one of the world's top public research universities.
3. In 1907, the first automobile race was held at the Ascot Speedway in Los Angeles, marking the beginning of a long and storied history of auto racing in California.
4. In 1926, Robert Goddard successfully launched the world's first liquid-fueled rocket in Auburn, California, paving the way for modern rocket science and space exploration.
5. In 1968, the landmark case of Terry v. Ohio was decided by the United States Supreme Court, establishing the legal principle that police officers may stop and search individuals if they have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.
- Tags: CA