1. In 1859, the Colorado Territory was organized by the U.S. Congress. This marked the beginning of a new chapter in Colorado's history and paved the way for statehood years later.
2. In 1872, the very first issue of the Rocky Mountain News was published in Denver, Colorado. This influential newspaper would go on to have a major impact on the region's politics and culture.
3. In 1937, the infamous Dust Bowl storm hit Colorado, causing widespread destruction and devastation. This event was a major turning point in the state's history and led to significant changes in farming and land management practices.
4. In 1968, the My Lai Massacre occurred in Vietnam, which had a profound impact on the national political landscape. Colorado Senator George McGovern was a vocal critic of the war and played a key role in shaping the country's response to this tragedy.
5. In 1999, the Columbine High School shooting took place in Littleton, Colorado. This tragic event shocked the nation and led to significant changes in the way that schools approach safety and security. It also sparked a national conversation about gun control and mental health.
- Tags: CO