1. In 1881, the first game of what would later become the Iowa State Cyclones football team was played on March 16 against Grinnell College. The Cyclones won the game 24-0.
2. On March 16, 1926, the Iowa State Highway Commission was created. This commission was responsible for planning, constructing, and maintaining Iowa's state highways.
3. In 1935, a major flood occurred in Iowa, affecting many towns and cities along the Mississippi River. On March 16, the crest of the flood reached Davenport, with the river reaching a record height of 22.6 feet.
4. On March 16, 1945, a B-24 bomber crashed near Ottumwa, Iowa, killing all 21 crew members aboard. The crash was caused by a severe thunderstorm in the area.
5. The Iowa Department of Education was established on March 16, 1973. The department is responsible for overseeing the state's education system, including K-12 schools, community colleges, and universities.
- Tags: IA