1. On March 16, 1751, the first theatre company in New York City, the American Company of Comedians, held their first performance at the Theatre in Nassau Street.
2. In 1802, the New York Fire Department was formally organized on March 16th.
3. The first public library in New York City, the New York Society Library, was founded on March 16, 1754.
4. On March 16, 1936, the first test flight of the first American passenger airliner, the Boeing 307 Stratoliner, took place in Newark, New Jersey.
5. In 1916, the New York State Legislature passed the Sullivan Act, which required individuals to obtain a license in order to possess handguns, making it one of the first gun control laws in the United States.
- Tags: NY