1. In 1963, the Indiana Pacers played their inaugural game in the National Basketball Association (NBA). While the team has since moved to the NBA's G-League, the Pacers remain a beloved basketball team in Indiana.
2. In 1865, the Battle of Bentonville in North Carolina ended. Many Hoosier soldiers fought in the battle, which was one of the last major engagements of the American Civil War.
3. In 1820, Indiana passed a law mandating that all male residents between the ages of 18 and 45 must serve in the state militia. This law would later be replaced by Indiana's current militia statute, which was enacted in 1901.
4. In 1940, the National Golden Gloves boxing tournament was held in Indianapolis. The tournament, which features amateur boxers from across the country, is still held annually today and has helped launch the careers of many professional boxers.
5. In 1998, the Indiana Pacers played the first game at their new home arena, the Conseco Fieldhouse (now known as Bankers Life Fieldhouse). The arena has hosted numerous sporting events, concerts, and other events over the years and is a popular destination for visitors to Indianapolis.
- Tags: IN