1. On March 22, 1889, the first land run in Oklahoma Territory occurred. This event allowed settlers to claim land in the unassigned lands of the territory, which eventually led to the formation of the state of Oklahoma.
2. March 22, 1924, saw the establishment of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. The department was created to oversee the state’s wildlife resources, including game animals, fish, and non-game wildlife.
3. In 1978, March 22 was declared ‘Oklahoma Day’ by Governor David L. Boren. The governor encouraged all Oklahomans to reflect on the history and achievements of the state on this day.
4. The Oklahoma City Thunder NBA franchise made its debut on March 22, 2009. The team, which was formerly the Seattle SuperSonics, relocated to Oklahoma City in 2008.
5. On March 22, 1982, the Oklahoma State University basketball team won the NCAA championship. They defeated the University of North Carolina Tar Heels with a score of 67-59.
5 Fun Facts About March 22 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →