1. North Carolina Seceded from the Union: On March 25, 1861, North Carolina joined other southern states in seceding from the Union and joining the Confederacy, leading to the Civil War.
2. UNC-Charlotte was Established: On March 25, 1946, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte was established as a two-year college. It was later expanded and grew to become one of the largest universities in the state, serving over 30,000 students.
3. The Wright Brothers' First Flight: On March 25, 1901, the Wright Brothers made their first successful test flight of a glider in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. This was a crucial step towards their development of the first powered airplane, which they successfully flew in 1903.
4. Birth of Legendary Athlete, Michael Jordan: On March 25, 1963, basketball legend Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York. He grew up in Wilmington, North Carolina, where he played high school basketball and developed into one of the greatest basketball players of all time.
5. Formation of North Carolina National Guard: On March 25, 1634, the North Carolina National Guard was formed as an organized militia to protect the colony of North Carolina from Native American attacks. Today, the North Carolina National Guard serves as a reserve military force for the state and the nation.
- Tags: NC