1. On March 29, 1859, the first newspaper in the Colorado Territory, The Rocky Mountain News, was published in Denver.
2. In 1887, the Colorado Coliseum, now known as the National Western Complex, opened its doors for the first time on March 29. It has since been a hub for events and trade shows in Denver.
3. On March 29, 1912, the city of Lamar in southeastern Colorado became the site of the state's first train robbery. Three men stopped the train and robbed the passengers, fleeing with $2,300 in cash and goods.
4. The Colorado Rockies played their first regular-season game on March 29, 1993, against the New York Mets. The Rockies won 11-9 in their debut at Shea Stadium.
5. In 2013, on March 29th, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper signed a landmark bill legalizing the sale and use of recreational marijuana, making Colorado the first state in the U.S. to do so.
- Tags: CO