1. In 1849, the Metropolitan Police Department was established in Washington D.C. This marked the first modern police force in the United States.
2. In 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurated the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) program in Washington D.C. The program aimed to provide jobs for unemployed young men and to promote conservation of natural resources.
3. In 1979, a severe snowstorm hit Washington D.C., causing power outages and transportation disruptions. The storm, which came to be known as the "President's Day Storm," resulted in a presidential disaster declaration.
4. In 1994, the Washington Wizards (formerly known as the Bullets) played their final game at the Capital Centre arena in Landover, Maryland. The team then moved to the newly built MCI Center (now Capital One Arena) in downtown Washington D.C.
5. In 2021, the District of Columbia became the 51st state of the United States. The House of Representatives approved a bill granting statehood to the District, but it still faces a difficult path in the Senate.
- Tags: DC